Service Quality and Complaints Commission

Improving the quality of services and care: our first concern!

The Act respecting health services and social services (ARHSSS) provides for a complaint examination system that allows a person aggrieved in their rights to express their dissatisfaction or to file a complaint. It is the right time to express discontent, but it is also an opportunity for us to make adjustments in order to answer our users' needs more effectively.

Who may file a complaint?

Any user who is not satisfied with the health and social services they received or should have received can file a complaint. This complaint can be written by the representative of an incapacitated user or by the legal heirs of a deceased user. The Act respecting health services and social services recognizes users the following rights:

  • Be informed of the existing services and how to access them;
  • Receive the appropriate services with continuity, in a personalized and safe manner;
  • Choose the professional or institution from which they wish to receive services;
  • Receive emergency care when needed;
  • Be informed of their health condition, the possible solutions and their consequences, before giving their consent;
  • Be informed, as soon as possible, of any accident that occurred during the provision of services;
  • Be treated with courtesy, fairness and understanding, and with respect for their dignity, autonomy, needs and safety in every intervention;
  • Consent to, or refuse, care in a free and informed manner, by themselves or by way of their representative;
  • Access their file, which is confidential;
  • Participate in any decision concerning them;
  • Be accompanied by a person of their choice when they want to receive information about services;
  • File a complaint without risk of reprisal, be informed of the complaint examination process, and be accompanied or assisted in each step of the process;
  • Be represented in their full recognized rights in the event of a temporary or permanent incapacity to give consent;
  • Receive services in English, if they are English speakers, in accordance with the governmental program of access.

Who receives the complaints?

The team of the Commissariat aux plaintes et à la qualité des services is spread out on the territory. To make this service more accessible, there is a single place to contact for the whole region:

By phone: 418-962-2572 (ext. 414122)

Toll-free: 1-877-962-9761 (ext. 414122)

By email: Ouvre une fenêtre pour la rédaction du 

By mail:
Commissariat aux plaintes et à la qualité des services
CISSS de la Côte-Nord
405, avenue Brochu
Sept-Îles (Québec) G4R 2W9

All complaints filed and all requests for assistance will be received and treated by a member of the team, who will then inform you of what they did, and their recommendations to the establishment, where applicable.

Reporting situations of maltreatment

The Act to combat maltreatment of seniors and other persons of full age in vulnerable situations was adopted in 2017. This act provides, among other things, that:

  • It applies to seniors and all other persons of full age in vulnerable situation;
  • Any staff member (including those bound by professional secrecy) who has reasonable grounds to believe that a person of full age is a victim of maltreatment MUST report the situation to the Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner immediately if:
    • The person is lodged in a CHSLD;
    • The person is under tutorship or curatorship, or is a person for whom a protection mandate has been homologated;

  • A voluntary reporting is also possible for adult users who do not meet mandatory reporting criteria;
  • The act applies to adult users, as situations of maltreatment toward youth users must be reported to the Direction de la protection de la jeunesse;
  • The commissioner must take all necessary measures to preserve the confidentiality of any information that would allow a person who has reported maltreatment to be identified;
  • Reprisals are prohibited against a person who reports maltreatment.

Do you need assistance?

If you need assistance to file a complaint, you can contact one of the following organizations:

Centre d'assistance et d'accompagnement aux plaintes (CAAP) - Côte-Nord

The CAAP-Côte-Nord is a regional community organization mandated by the ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux to help and assist users who want to file a complaint in the health and social services network. The CAAP-Côte-Nord's role is not to manage complaints, but to assist users during the process. Its services are free and confidential, and there are many ways to contact them:

/typo3conf/l10n/fr/rtehtmlarea/Resources/Private/Language/fr.locallang_accessibilityicons.xlf:external_link_new_window_altTextCentre d'assistance et d'accompagnement aux plaintes - Côte-Nord

Baie-Comeau: 418-295-2779

Sept-Îles: 418-968-2779

Toll free: 1-877-767-2227
Email: Ouvre une fenêtre pour la rédaction du 
Website: /typo3conf/l10n/fr/rtehtmlarea/Resources/Private/Language/ 

Québec Ombudsman

If you disagree with the response of the Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner, if you failed to receive any response from the commissioner within 45 days, or if the CISSS did not adequately comply with the recommendations of the commissioner, you may contact the /typo3conf/l10n/fr/rtehtmlarea/Resources/Private/Language/fr.locallang_accessibilityicons.xlf:external_link_new_window_altTextQuébec Ombudsman. They will proceed to a review of your complaint.

Québec Ombudsman

Toll free: 1-800-463-5070

Email: Ouvre une fenêtre pour la rédaction du 
Website: /typo3conf/l10n/fr/rtehtmlarea/Resources/Private/Language/fr.locallang_accessibilityicons.xlf:external_link_new_window_altText

Annual complaints examination reports

Only available in French:

To the top